Sunday, January 5, 2014

Blogging Kickstart

Happy New Year!

One of the blogs I read posted a bunch of blog prompts, which reminded me of the earlier days of blogging when I posted a mishmash of photos, thoughts, crafts, and whatever else I thought was fun. In an effort to be a better blogger, I'm going to try to follow these prompts (but not every day--that seems like a goal doomed to fail!) through January, as well as post a bit more about what we are up to :)

(The first prompt is about goals for 2014--how boring! Like you all want to hear my wishful thinking about all the amazing stuff I'd like to do this year but probably never will!)

  1. What’s on your reading list for 2014?
This year is going to be awesome. 

I love to read, but I don't read as often as I would like. I think a worthy goal for next year is to read one book a week, but I won't follow through on that so lets say I will read 30 books this year :) On my reading list (according to Goodreads.com) are over 350 books...

My biggest reading goal is to re-establish a scripture reading routine. We are doing great with family reading every school morning (and its hard--I hate waking up kids, but we like to read together before Hannah leaves at 7). I have yet to find the ideal time to read regularly on my own, and I always think scripture reading should be ideal. Right? 

As I kid/teen, I was so regular about reading scriptures that I had a hard time going to sleep at night without reading at least a few verses, even when I was trying to be bad and skip a day. As an adult, I have slipped out of the habit and find that my scripture reading is less "study" and more "glancing." 

So, reading the scriptures regularly and with purpose. That's the first on  my 2014 reading list.

Other than that, there are a few other books that I have been meaning to read for a long time. The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak is one of those. I hear wonderful things about it, have picked it up many times, but never actually started reading. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is another one--I hear great things, but didn't get past the first chapter. I will read both this year. 

I usually read books that make me want to be part of the story--They are either romantic ( see: Jane Austen, all works) or I like the characters so much I wish I could be their friend. (see also: Jane Austen, all works)

I also want to get back to doing a bit more serious reading. A few years ago, Christian and I read 2 or 3 of the 4 books in the History of Great Britain, starting in the very early years and reading up to maybe the 1500's. It was fascinating! And hard to follow! But I would like to do a bit more of this type of reading. One of the best books I have read in the past few years was the Biography of Benjamin Franklin--what an interesting man! I feel better about myself when I know stuff.

Next up, I want to read more with my kids. I have a few childhood favorites I would love to share with them, and I want to help Aaron, as a new reader, learn to love big, wonderful stories. I sort of gave up on reading with the kids for a while when Rachel was younger--she couldn't hear what I was reading and would feel left out. Now, it isn't an issue. She's a great reader. Now it is more about introducing kids to great stories. As a kid, my Mom would read us books I would never have picked up on my own, and I would sort of hate it and love it. She read us Kon Tiki, by Thor Hyerdahl one summer--its a true story about a man who wanted to show that the Polynesian Islands could have been populated from the East (South American) rather than the West, as most scientists assume. He did this by building a raft, using only the supplies the people at the time would have had, and simply floating on the current. It worked. That story, and memory, sticks with me.

Anything I should add to my list?

No comments: