Sunday, April 15, 2012

What a difference some paint makes...!

Our home is pretty nice, all things considered. When I write these home improvement posts, I never want to sound spoiled!

Since the first time I saw this home, the kitchen has bugged me. Its a nice size, sure, and I like the island and I like having a desk area. But. The spray-tan orange cabinets, dropped flourescent lighting ("California lights"), grey floor and countertops (they clashed with the cabinets), and the fact that we had to replace every single appliance made this room a bit of a nuisance. We thought for a long time before taking our next step, and researched the DIY-DIP (do-it-professionally) cost, plus considered the risk of it not turning out well...and finally decided to hire a painter to do the cabinets.

Honestly, the decision came down to my need for a brighter kitchen, the time it would take to do it myself, the likely chance I'd make a costly mistake, and a good deal from my painter.

Here is an idea of what I want to do color-wise with the kitchen:
Neutral background, bright, cheerful details, attempting to blend it with the rest of the house.
One thing I have learned from my Pinterest boards is that I like a lot more color than I usually use!


So, here's the before:
~DeAnn reminded me that the true "before" had dark brown walls, texture-painted over floral wallpaper...took us months to get it all off. See the square lighting? The color around that is the previous wall color...
Pretty? Cheerful? No. Functional--Yes.
knock-off Corian counters, new-ish tile floor, wood trim all staying...


During:
(Like a crime scene...)
(I had limited access to the kitchen and laundry room for two days, but couldn't "move back in" for almost a week, in order to let the paint fully cure)


And immediately after:
I honestly couldn't believe that just paint had made such a huge difference. Scroll up and you'll see that even the floor looks better, just because it no longer completes with the orange.


As you can see, we have a few details left before I can reveal a true "After" shot--but I wanted to show the progress. We removed a decorative piece of wood over the sink (for a cleaner, more modern look). We replaced all the hardware (I was surprised by how much it mattered to Christian!). We still need to purchase a hood vent from the stove, since we removed the broken and oversized built-in microwave, and we will still address the "California" lighting, and I want to add some more colorful accents.

I love how the white makes the countertop and floor look intentional, rather than clash-y. We painted the walls Seattle Mist by Benjamin Moore--a nice, neutral gray that is a really nice background to the colorful curtains. What a difference...and it will only get better when we finish the next step!

9 comments:

Jodie said...

Wow! That IS a huge difference! Are you going to have to replace the door as well? Can you come do my house now? :)

Katie said...

Wow, the room is a million times brighter! It looks great!

Kasey said...

Love it. Great job!

DeAnn said...

Do you have a before picture with the brown walls? You seriously have to wonder sometimes--what are people thinking?! I love, love, love the cabinets. And your curtains!

Sabrina O'Malley said...

Very nice! Happy birthday to Rachel too. So great to be 8!

Robyn said...

That's right--the real "before" had dark brown walls! I should update the post...

The Casa Hunt said...

Oh My! The cabinets look really nice!

Candace said...

Why is it that paint can make it seem like the cabinets are actually better? Crazy. Looks fantastic.

Family Travellers said...

Stumbled on your blog. I love that picture of your family as the backdrop. Looks like you have a fun family.