So, a reminder of where we started: (imagine dark brown walls--unlike a good blogger, I started priming without taking a true "before")
Brown walls, broken brown tile, golden-oak cabinets, dim light, off-white fixtures. Nice, huh? At least its big--but then, that means there was more room for UGLY!
This whole remodel began because the old brown tile had a big crack running from the shower to the tub, and we were worried about mold, especially since the tile was installed directly on the subfloor. This was directly after our moldy basement ceiling episode, so mold was on our mind.
Thankfully, there wasn't any mold, but it was a good excuse to make things prettier:)
Here's a sketch of the basic floorplan.
The room is essentially 10x10. Definitely big, but perhaps not the best use of space. (Giant corner tub that gets used only occasionally, vs a tiny shower that is used daily?). The ceiling is vaulted, starting at 8 ft on the exterior window wall and climbing to 12 feet on the door-wall. The cabinet is seriously 6 1/2 ft long. So there was no way we could do this without some major effort and serious consideration of cost.
We had to plan around the existing features, including the ivory/cream colored tub and shower. We have no plans to replace those. We decided to incorporate the color into the overall color scheme. I found this fantastic tile from Lowe's with blue, green, cream and white and it was the perfect jumping off point for the room.
This way, we were able to add in white trim, a creamy white tile floor, and fresher color while making room feel cohesive. I also found this picture,
(from a Lowe's magazine) which provided a good inspiration for the design.
I will say, hands down, the best thing we did was paint the walls, followed closely by painting the cabinets and trim. Thankfully, paint--the cheapest of all upgrades--has a huge impact. The wall color is smoke infusion by Valspar, and the trim is slightly off-white--cream delight, by Behr. The cabinets are bittersweet chocolate, by Behr. I also did a finish coat on the cabinets with furniture wax, just to try it out, and I really like the soft finish. I have painted cabinets twice before, but this time I put much more care into using good materials and doing it right, and it paid off. The handles are from Lowe's (and for those of you who follow blogs, they are the same ones used by Thrifty Decor Chic on her library cabinets, but I picked mine out first).
I bought the shelf unfinished from Michaels. With some sanding, caulk, and spray paint, it looks quite nice and friendly. The carved panels are a DIY copycat project (inspired by Brook from All Things Thrifty) that I started years ago. They are simply MDF, cut into three panels, and carved with a jig saw. I transferred the pattern using a transparent projector. My friend in Michigan, Liza, helped me with this before we move, and then I got frustrated and didn't finish them until last week.
(I love this shot of them, reflected in the mirror. They pick up the brown in the cabinets and make the whole thing looked put together!)
I backed them my hot-gluing brown felt to the back. They look great--but next time I'd use thicker MDF.
We still plan on replacing the counter top, which is starting to look very dull and dated now that everything else is updated, but that will wait until we're a bit more desperate to spend money. We also plan on adding a piece of furniture to go on the wall behind the door to hold towles and tp and other things.
So there it is! It's such a relief to have it done--but more than that, I love being able to turn a stupid space into something that I love, and to be able to work together with Christian. Thanks for being interested!