Sunday, July 10, 2011

BYU success story

Bear with me--I'm about to get sentimental.

Christian and I this time of year, 10 years ago. We met, officially, playing ultimate frisbee at a park in Provo, where I played a mediocre game but miraculously caught a pass from him, to score a point. He thought it was a nice catch, and thought that I might be, too.

(In reality, we had spoken before. His sister-in-law's (Jeni's) sister, Lora Jean, had lived in my apartment and had recently moved a few doors down. Christian called a few times to ask her out. He'd ask for her phone number, and once I went down and knocked on her door to get her info).

I thought that, in honor of my impending 10th anniversary, it might be nice to dig out some old, pre-digital photos of the old days, and share a bit of our story.
First off, here's a little about the 19/barely 20 yr old me: I was taking art classes at BYU. I had finished my sophomore year, and decided to stay for Spring term. My sophomore year was fun--really fun! Go apt 23!--and I think it bugs Christian when I rave about it, but really, that was the year I gained independence, confidence, and a few special experiences that helped me grow up and be ready to be a real-live adult. And get married the next year (spoiler!). I loved being an interior design student, because I got to watch tv while doing homework (drawing pretty pictures) while my roommates stressed about writing papers and reading huge books (I did a bit of that, too...don't think I was a slacker).
(Blow-drying an oil paint assignment in the morning before class.)
I love looking back on some of my artwork, especially since I feel pretty far removed from that life now. I also had really fun, smart, fantastic roommates--5 of them--and met some wonderful people. We had this cool photo wall in our place, called the Wok Wall. We literally had a wok and made people pose for a picture with it when anyone new came by our place.
Anyway, I stayed for Spring term, decided to play frisbee, and met Christian.
(Posing for the Wok Wall in his Tigger suit)
He wasn't taking classes at the time, but was a student and had majored in about 5 different subjects during his time there. He had lived in the ward the year before, and moved out when I moved in. That Spring, he moved back with his brother, James, so he knew several people in the ward and was called into the Elders' quorum presidency. While dividing up the girls for home teaching assignments, he picked me (cuz I was a great catch), another roommate because she played the cello, and another one because she was fun. True revelation at work!
That Spring term, he was a very diligent home teacher. He washed our dishes. He cooked for us (even breakfast!). He took this group photo of my Spring term roommates.
During Finals, he took my whole apartment out to dinner. I discovered that both me and my roommate fit inside his Tigger suit. For my 20th birthday, he arranged a surprise ice cream shin dig up at Rock Creek Park. He arranged a musical number, performed by the ladies of Apt. 23. He taught us how to bang hollow tubes (Boom-wackers) on our heads to the tune of "I Am A Child of God." He took us canoeing on Salem Pond, but deliberately planned so that he and I would be in separate boats.
But we didn't date.

Good times, good times.

After Spring term, I went home for the summer. After helping me clean the apartment, Christian let me (and my roommate, Joy) stay at his parent's house for the night before flying home the next day. That night, I met most of his (large) family. I remember feeling very intimidated. At home, my social life slowed down a lot, so I depended on e-mails from Christian (some of which he wrote with a Spanish-Fork accent).

That's our history, as of this time 10 years ago. The really good stuff comes soon...

7 comments:

val m said...

Yeah for BYU!!! You two are very cute together - a match mad in heaven, or BYU!!!

Robin V said...

I love these tell-all stories...!

Kassandra said...

You cant just leave us hanging like that !!! Cant wait to hear the rest !!!

DeAnn said...

I love this post! You should send it to my sister's love story blog :) and finish soon...you left us all hanging...

Annette Sugiyama said...

Hello cliff hanger! I love it.

Marcy said...

I remember being really intimidated by the Green family too...gotta love it when your first encounter with them is at a holiday gathering!

Shelly said...

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the rest!