A few years ago, Christian helped manage a family business, producing fancy-shmancy wood products. Seriously, that was their business plan. We came out of it with a lot of wooden signs, and I'm slowly putting them to good use.
The first one finished started with this carved pine board. I began by using colored stains to paint in the floral details, but...I left it out and one of my kids spilled green stain all over it.
(I forgot to take a before picture, but thankfully we had 2. Imagine this, with green stain covering that nice unfinished beadboard...Also, I painted one of these, but my sister-in-law, Annelise, did one, too. I honestly can't remember which is which, so I don't know whose work I painted over!!)
And so it sat for a year or two. I couldn't possibly sand it down enough to get the green out, so I decided to try something bold (Bold, that is, considering Christian is usually against painting over good quality wood).
I used a few coats of spray primer (it took a lot to cover the green and get in all the corners), caulked the wood seams for a clean look, and spray painted it white. Then, to copy a blog trend, I used a tinted glaze to highlight the carving.
Its pretty simple--I got a quart of glaze, custom tinted at the store, and painted it heavily over the white. As I painted, I wiped it off with a damp cloth, and then wiped it again with a dry, soft cloth. The glaze stayed in all the carved out details. (I think, if I could start over, I might use less glaze, because it stuck to the white surface a bit, as well as the carving). I spray painted the hooks (from gold to oil rubbed bronze). We put it in our laundry room to hold aprons, and I can't tell you how happy it makes me every day. I can see it from the kitchen and family room, and it looks so friendly!
The other little project I had was to update a Family Home Evening chart. This is another thing that we have had for years, but never used. Christian made it with 7 assignments (2 prayers, song, treat, lesson, scripture, activity) and made hearts with the girls' names on them to hang from the pegs. Once we had boys, it became obsolete, plus we could never decide how to fill all the assignments. So, in an effort to finally use what we have, I tackled the name pieces. I filled in the names with wood putty, sanded them well, and primed and painted them off white.
I cut off the raffia and retied them with brown and white ribbon.
I ordered vinyl with our names to replace the engraved names and make them all uniform (expect, for some reason, they made Daddy's name smaller than the rest. I think its kind of funny.)
For now, we won't use the 2nd prayer assignment...but I'll probably make a blank hanging shape for visitors or friends.