Saturday, June 18, 2011

A distressing floor

This is an older post I'm just now getting around to posting (I waited for better pictures). I think I've decided that most of my posts might leave you disinclined to buy a home, so after this, I'll try to post something successful!

So, in an effort to finish the entry hall, we decided to refinish the golden oak wood floors. On a Saturday morning, we rented a belt sander and got to work. And realized it wasn't working.
See, its actually kind of tricky to sand evenly, and we ended up with a bunch of grooves all over, perpendicular to the wood grain. Yikes!

So, while pondering what to do about it, we decided to go ahead and stain it and see if the dark stain would cover our imperfections. We started late at night, since there's no way to avoid walking over this particular spot during the day, and stained it a dark mahogany.

It looked red. Really, really red. And it didn't cover our original mistake.
What to do?
We lightly sanded it down, and tried staining it in a darker color.
And...we give up. We'll eventually replace our splotchy, tri-colored distressing (I mean "distressed," right?) floor, but I figure it can wait a while. We didn't bother sealing the stain, but we have priced out new floors, and we'll get around to it after we recover from this week or so of staining excitement!

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

Wow. Not sure what else to say...I'm sorry it bombed so badly.

Annette Sugiyama said...

I don't know...I don't see anything wrong with that groovy last picture. When it comes to wood floors, why settle for just ONE color?