Monday, May 16, 2011

DIP vs. DIY

(As in, "do it professionally")

Before: (Or during--since we've already ripped off most of the wallpaper, leaving only a few dangly pieces that were too high for us to reach--picture emerald green stripes. And we put in the carpet.)
This is the age of "If they can do, I can too...and cheaper" or "Why should I pay them for something I can do myself" and usually I agree. Having recently gone in way over my head on home renovations, I'm here to say-sometimes its okay to pay. We have a super-tall stairwell (with wallpaper) and I knew that to do it myself would be to risk breaking my neck. My neighbor suggested using her painter (yes, my neighbor has a painter AND a handyman), and I told myself that if could do if for less than a *certain* amount of money, I'd go ahead and contract it out. I'm glad I did. Not only did he agree to do more than I originally planned on (he's doing the upstairs hall, too), for the amount I was willing to spend, I've already seen that he does a much better job than I do. (I thought I had spackled so the walls would be ready for paint, and then he showed me just how much his crew did to get it really, really ready for paint. Plus the wallpaper is already gone, with much less mess than I would have made.)
Granted, its still way cheaper to do it myself, and I probably will for most things. I'm just saying--it's worth it to me to know that this project will be done TODAY, not by me, and done well. Its actually a huge relief, and I'm willing to pay for it.
Official "Afters" to come...And I have big plans for a picture collage wall!

1 comment:

DeAnn said...

I'm so glad you found help to get that stairwell done. I want to come see!!