Sunday, January 30, 2011

I guess its really happening...

So...we bought a house.

This move as been months in the making. It has gone on so long, in fact, that I often wondered why we were actually doing it! We love it here in Michigan! Then, Christmas break ended, he went back to the regular gone-all-week work schedule, and then Christian spent a week in Mexico, and I remembered what it was like for the last few years to be on my own so much. So here we go, on to another state...hoping to save some $, get back on a routine, and see Daddy a little more often.

Last September, when we first accepted the job in Indiana, Christian and I headed down to check out homes for sale. I wasn't very impressed. I felt like in order to get a good replacement for the home we are in now, I would have to spend much more money than I was willing to, or give up the neighborhood, yard space, basement...We found a short-sale home that wasn't in great condition, but it was in a good neighborhood, on a cul-de-sac (like we are now...its so nice with kids), and it had good potential. We also knew that short sales could take lots of time...and we were fine hanging out in Michigan while the bank processed everything!

In November I started to panic and decided I didn't want the house--right when the bank approved the sale. So--I changed my mind again.

We were right--it took a full 4 months from first making an offer to finally owning the home. We took the kids down on Friday to show them around--They loved it! They told us we were the best parents ever. Seeing them run around the home, get excited about their closets and the counter tops and cabinets, made me feel much better about the move. I can actually picture my family in the home now.

We still have a lot of work to do. We will actually move into the new place in about 2 weeks, and in the meantime we hope to paint, remove wallpaper, replace carpet, and perhaps fix tile...plus we need new appliances and window treatments (and we'll have to do all this while living a few hours away and getting our current house ready to pack up...). Its a big job, and I'm worried about getting it all done...and I'm hoping desperately that Indiana-folk are as fun and nice and wonderful as Michigan-folks. We're trying to cram in a lot of fun over the next few weeks, on top of everything else, and we're already planning when we'll come back to visit (I don't want to miss out on baby showers, girls' nights, birthday parties, frisbee...).

Here are a few pictures of our new place, before we start any fixing-up:
I expect to see a lot of this over after the move:(climbing on bookshelves...)(wrestling on the floor...)

Please, Michigan friends--don't hate us because we're moving!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Congratulations! A new adventure.

Catherine Faux said...

Wow I love your house!

mama.laughead said...

So I looked to see if you will live near anyone I know who already lives in Indiana; you won't. It is feeling very final. I am happy that you will be together as a family though.

Sherilyn said...

All the best! Good luck with everything these next few weeks! Wish I were closer and could help. :)

Annette Sugiyama said...

I'm still in denial...