Monday, September 13, 2010

A Very Harry Summer


So, I mentioned before that Hannah likes to use my Ipod to listen to downloaded books. I used to worry about her not reading challenging books, or trying any new books, so we tried this as a way to introduce her to new books. This summer, she "read" the first 3 HP books. She paused for a while, thinking that she'd be too scared by the 4th book, but eventually decided to start, and we convinced her to read along with the Ipod. She read for hours this week--and watched far less tv! Near the end of the book, she misplaced the Ipod and finished reading on her own. So--she finally graduated from assisted Ipod reading and has started reading the 5th book, all on her own! Let me remind ya'll, she's 7...

8 comments:

Kasey Hunt said...

That is awesome!!

Mike Laughead said...

Hannah is lucky to have Harry Potter to read at her age. I remember reading the Hobbit when I was that old. It's really awesome that she's so into it. Good for her!

Katie said...

Wow, that is great! My 7 year old loves reading, too, but I am not sure if she is ready for Harry Potter. I gave her a Sherlock Holmes chapter book and she is liking that so far.

DeAnn said...

That's great! She and Natalie can discuss them when we come in a few weeks. :) Natalie's read them more times than I can count. Megan hasn't really shown an interest (yet?) but she reads plenty of other books.

Jennie and Adam said...

Way to go Hannah!

Amy said...

Yea for Hannah! She is getting so grown up!

Green's said...

Good for Hannah! I have only read the first book. But just yesterday I got my library card here in Morehead, and I rented the 4th book, as they did not have the 2nd or 3rd in. Now, if I can just find time to read it!

Robyn said...

Julianne, you have to read them! They're just fun books...