Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Super Redo: Part 1

I've mentioned before that I am something of a blogging addict--not that I blog so often (we all know I don't), but I spend way too much time surfing/stalking my favorite blogs and am forever adding to my dream/to-do list. Have you ever seen a cute/easy idea, and thought--I could totally do that myself! Just to find out, it wasn't nearly as "easy" as advertised? Yeah, it happens. A lot. Needless to say, when I mentioned to Christian that I thought we ought to do a little update on our master bath, and that I thought it would make a big impact with a little bit of $, he was a bit hesitant. I don't have the greatest track record for completing projects and staying on budget...

Here is the blog link that started it all...courtesy of Impatiently Praying for Patience. The amazing thing is that it wasn't really that hard (although there are a few things I'd do differently if I ever do this again) and it really cost very little. We're talking $15. For what I think is a pretty big change.
So here's the first--and cheapest stage. We may never get to stage 2, but just in case, I'll call this stage 1.
Ready for pictures? (I'll do the reveal first, and then, if you're still with me, I'll give you the how-I-did-it)
The before (as messy as it gets)
The after (keeping it real--all I did was paint and clean-up--sort of)I just wanted to show what a big change the simple update did--probably a far bigger change the the more expensive stage 2...
Stage 2, if it ever happens, involves changing out the hollywood lights for newer, pretty lights, possibly changing faucets (not likely--those suckers are expensive!), painting, and finding a cute large basket to go in the cabinet opening and a smaller cute basket to house our lotions, etc on the countertop.
First off, we took a little trip to what my boys call, The Man Store (aka Home Depot). I found their cheapest 4 inch molding (less than a $ per sq foot) and cut it down to approximate size (it comes in 15 ft lengths).
*Here's my first problem--we have a saw at home, but it doesn't have a long table. We might have had more accurate measurements had we cut it correctly at the store.
*Also, the trim was painted white, but we all know (and I didn't realize at the time) that white paint is not the same as primer. My paint didn't cover the glossy white as well as I'd hoped. Next time, I'd use a tinted primer. In the end, though, it all worked out.
A note on color--I had intended to use black, but Christian pointed out that nothing in our house is black, so he suggested the pre-mixed (and therefore cheaper) kona brown. It worked so well! It's dark enough to have contrast and elegance like black does, but is much warmer. Also, we used liquid nails for mirrors to attach it to the mirror, but we had some problems with it pulling away at the corners, so there are some gaps. Next time, I'll either assemble the molding before gluing it down, or find a way to clamp it to the mirror. We used painter's tape to hold it in place, but it dries quickly. When caulking over the gaps, I used post-it notes to keep the paint and caulk off the mirror--it worked beautifully!
After the mirror, we moved on to the cabinets. I lightly sanded and primed the bases--including all of the face frame. If I was going to do all the work, I wanted to do it well. Or as well as this imperfectionista does any project. :)
Here's what it looked like after the first coat:Scary, huh? It was about this time that Christian came to me, very concerned, wondering if we'd done something wrong. I assured him that it would look fine with another few coats, but this is also why I'd use a tinted primer next time. Scary purple cabinets--not really my thing.
I'd love some advice on finishing this off!

6 comments:

Kasey Hunt said...

Looks great!!!

Katie said...

Good job!! It looks awesome!

Green's said...

You are sooo ambitious! I need to re-do a dresser that I have to use in my kitchen as there is not enough kitchen cabinets or drawers, but it intimidates me. Maybe when I can have some help from my husband???.

DeAnn said...

I think it looks amazing. Funny--I was just thinking of doing the same thing in our bathroom--our mirror is HUGE. Jonathan can learn all the tricks when we're there and then we'll do it.

As for phase 2--I think it looks so great now--you don't have to do much. Maybe just paint. Or watch for deals on faucets and light fixtures. Good luck!

Annelise said...

I think it looks really nice. I would suggest some really beautiful silver or brushed nickel knobs for your newly painted cabinets. It would be a shame if they were knicked in any way.

AnnaBanana said...

What a fun transformation! I need to do this to a couple pieces of furniture! You inspire me Robyn!!!