Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer Blues

I have a bad case of the summer blues.

My kids love school, and as much as I fight routine, we all really do need it. The monsters are getting restless. This summer we've stayed close to home but have packed in a lot of activities, such as....

the GR zoo ...
(Did I mention I lost Nathan at the zoo? It was bad. So bad, in fact, that I actually found him at the lost child station after getting a whole bunch of zookeepers involved. I didn't realize that we picked the busiest day of the year to head to the zoo...Super-bad Mom moment.)
the beach (again and again and again...)...a visit to Ohio...
a surgery...

some stressful decision making (which I will post about once this particular stressful decision has been made)...

said good-bye to some good friends...
an attempt at daily chore charts and school time...

almost daily playdates with neighbor kids and weekly-ish playdates with farther-away friends...
lots of trip to the library (Hannah is on a big Harry Potter-kick, but she prefers to listen to the books on my Ipod than actually read them...She'll start book 4 soon.)...

Christian's usual work travel...
watched a ton of tv...

the necessary back-to-school shopping...

crafting and home decorating (also a necessity!)...
...and with two weeks left, I still have a long wish list, including at least 2 more trips to the beach, a family bike ride, some home repair stuff, maybe host a party or two. I actually feel like we've reached that point no amount of activity can please the monsters....desperation has set in!

However, the countdown has begun and whatever I do or don't do over the next 14 days,I'm so thankful for back to school!

5 comments:

DeAnn said...

I wish we could come see you or you come see us. Any word about October 16 yet? My kids don't have school the 15th so that would actually be a great weekend for us.

Robyn said...

I'm pretty sure that's the date. We haven't heard from anyone else planning on coming, so we'd love it if you guys came! I'd like to head our your way soon, too..I'll give you a call and see if we can work something out!

Katie said...

sounds like you've had a busy summer! Aside from our trip, we've had way too much down time. I'm sure my girls are excited for school, too, and some structure!!

Kasey Hunt said...

I didn't hear about the zoo story! I'm so glad that you found him.
I've got a great Mother story for you. Remind me to tell you the next time I see you.

AnnaBanana said...

Ok. I love the pic of Paige and Hannah! We miss you! I can't believe the changes that are a foot!