Sunday, May 16, 2010

This is the Place! (I think)

We had a bit of unexpected adventure/crisis last week. My sister-in-law, Jeni (married to Christian's 4th brother, Daniel) passed away a week ago, leaving behind 4 kids and her husband. I planned on sending Christian to spend some time with his brother, but last minute I had the chance to go, too. I was so fortunate to find someone with less than 24 hour notice to watch my 4 kids, and am so grateful I could be there. 10 of the 13 siblings were there, and its always fun to be around Christian's family.

Jeni's funeral was beautiful--aside from being very sad. I loved hearing the stories about my friend...and want to say here that while lots of people mentioned that she loved to play games and she and Daniel could never play against each other, it needs to be pointed out that she was an expert cheater. Very, very bad.

I usually visit Utah in the summer, so I naturally expected great weather and didn't bring a coat. This is what it looked like. Yes, that is snow on those mountains.

I didn't actually take many pictures, but we spent our time doing the usual game playing/try to build something together (a play set)/eat really good food (Tucanos! 3 kinds of funeral potatoes!)/tell family stories. Christian and I both went running, but we vastly underestimating the effect of the elevation. We also spent a few hours hanging out with Peter while waiting for our flight. We got to walk down the Memorial Grove Park and check out the inside of the Capital building. Peter thinks a "country manor" designed like the Capital would be a great place for future family gatherings.
Our flight home was atrocious. We were booked on separate flights, but Christian was able to switch onto my flight, with a layover in Phoenix. Our 2 hour layover became 6, 2 of which were spent sitting on the plane while they tried to deal with engine problems. We got home several hours later than expected. Yuck.

But I feel pretty lucky that I could go, get my Utah-fix, remember my friend Jeni, wander through a Deseret Bookstore, and be reminded just how cool the Green clan is.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sorry for your loss. :( What it unexpected or had she been sick?

Robyn said...

She has been sick for a while, so it wasn't completely unexpected, but still, very sad. She's younger than me, and always a good friend.

Sabrina O'Malley said...

So sorry to hear about her passing but grateful you could spend some special time with the family.

AnnaBanana said...

Glad you were able to go to Zion! :) Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. :(