Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Big Bad Green Game Night

I have some pretty crazy friends, with some pretty crazy ideas. My buddy Candace said that we ought to have a game night; we ought to do it at my house (for the space); and we ought to invite everyone we can possibly think of. Evites were sent to 34 families (including mine and Candace's), and only after they were sent did I start to think that this might be a stressful endeavor. As it turned out, it was a blast!

We ended up with 19 adults and 19 kids (only about 1/2 of the people ever even responded to the invite), and we all fit nicely without any chaos (I was expecting LOTS of chaos).
Guests came at 5:30 and helped assemble some amazing kabobs (have I mentioned lately that my man can cook?). The kabobs featured beef, chicken, sausage, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms marinated in either a lime chipotle sauce or Yoshida's (available at Sam's--great stuff), served over rice with lots of fun sides and dessert. We served the kids first--hot dogs and potato chips.

The kids were fabulous. We had 2 tables set up in the basement, and they ate first, then played the rest of the evening. The weather was chilly, but not wet, so they spend some time outside and some time watching old episodes of Darkwing Duck.

Half of us played a rousing game of Apples to Apples (I tied for the win with the Bishop), while Rachel, who desperately wanted to play the big kid games, helped collect and distribute cards. She also took a ton of pictures--nearly all of the ones posted today--(she especially liked taking upside-down pictures of the men).

The other half started a great game of Quelf. I have personally never played the game, but I greatly enjoyed hearing the men sing "99 bottles of beer on the wall...", talk like a pirate, wear lipstick, trade clothing, dancing, shout out when their phone rang (lots of extra calls to bring on more cheers), etc...Some games are more entertaining to watch than play. Mostly guys played this game, but bravo to Julianne, who stepped in last minute to fill an empty seat.

It ended up being a great group--some old friends, some we hadn't ever hung out with before...We're so glad we have such good friends!

7 comments:

DeAnn said...

Good job you guys--I'm glad it was fun. Did you save me a kabob?

Jodie said...

what a blast! I would love to be able to do something like that--had we the space in our house! And yeah, those kabobs look delicious! Great job!

Nancy said...

Sounds like sooo much fun!

Catherine Faux said...

Fun! It looks like your house is the party house.

val m said...

Thanks for hosting!! It was a really fun evening!

AnnaBanana said...

Wow! What's with my bug-eye pic?Scary! We had a great time, thanks for being the hostess with the mostessss!

When are we doing game night again?!?

Annette Sugiyama said...

DAAAAH! I'm so mad we weren't there!!