Sunday, April 4, 2010

I made a table (with a little help from the guy I love)

Hasn't everyone heard about the blog, Knock Off Wood? If you haven't, you should. I like to think of myself as a DIY-er, but really, I'm a planner and project starter more than a project finisher. For as long as we've lived in this house, I've wanted a table for my entry hall. When I saw this blog, I was excited by the possibility of building something myself for a fraction of the cost of purchasing. Thank goodness my husband knows how to use power tools, because had a tried to do this myself I might have hurt someone. With his help, some borrowed tools, a few hours on a Saturday, and a few nights during the following week, we were able to transform this pile of wood......to this unfinished table......to this finished table.We did just a few things differently from the plans--We shortened it because planned length would have been too long for our entryway; we had a few gaps between the apron and legs and added some narrow pieces of trim, which I actually like, to cover the gap, and we filled the screw holes with wood plugs rather than just wood filler, which I also think adds to the rustic feel. We also sanded the thing to death before staining it, and realized that it is much easier to do the heavy sanding before it is assembled than afterward. Now I am really itching to make some bookshelves, a bench, some bedside tables, etc....I still am not sure what to put on the table or on the wall above it--I'll post again when I figure it out.

We have enough leftover wood to make a coffee table.

8 comments:

DeAnn said...

It's beautiful!

Adam Green said...

It looks great!

Jennie and Adam said...

It looks awesome! And you'll love it every time you see it knowing that you guys made it from scratch. Way to go!

val m said...

I love it!!

Joyous said...

Woot, woot! That table is gorgeous.

Kasey Hunt said...

Way to go! It looks awesome!

Sherilyn said...

Very impressive!

Katie said...

that's awesome! Good job!