Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Part 4: Books I'd recommend to my friends

This is trickier--there are so many books out there with good stuff and bad stuff mixed together, and we have to make our own judgment regarding them. Here are a few I've read recently that I think are worth looking into:

In the Chick-lit category:


Belong to Me and Love Walked In, by Marissa De Los Santos
Probably my favorite of all the books I read this year! I read the sequel first, and got hooked after just a few minutes of reading. I went back and read the first, and liked it just as much. I thought this book was well-written, funny, interesting, and had one of the best birthing-stories I've ever read. Although I did not fully agree with the attitudes or choices of many of the characters, I recognized some people I know in these characters and understood their choices. Reading the book felt like talking with friends.

My Sister's Keeper, by Jodie Picoult
This is my favorite of Picoult's novel, which are usually intense, emotional, and intriguing. This is about a family dealing with their daughter/sister's cancer, but its more than a medical drama. I also, saw the movie, which is quite different from the book, and cried almost the entire way through, so be warned. Also, as with most of her books, there is some language and content that I wasn't entirely comfortable with.

Plain Truth, by Jodie Picoult
Another book dealing with a complex issue, but I felt like the resolution was worth some of the difficult parts. This story is about an Amish community, and one girl accused of murder. I thought it was a very interesting look at the Amish community, the justice system, and how people just don't see the world in the same way.

Once Upon a Marigold, by Jean Ferris
This is actually a young adult novel, but I loved it. It is a simple fairy-tale-ish story about a princess--a fun, funny, quick read.

Enchantment, by Orson Scott Card
I read this years ago and recently re-read it and loved it again. It is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, set in Russia.

Rachel and Leah, by Orson Scott Card
I loved how Card tried to make sense of a very unusual story--his explanations of how the "accidental" marriage to Leah might have happened was believable, and the portrayal of Bibilical cultural was fascinating. It is not, of course, scripture, and is probably only barely historical fiction, but still, and interesting book.

Before Midnight, by Cameron Dokey
A retelling of Cinderella--again, this probably falls under teen literature, but I thought it was a fun book and an interesting look at the traditional story.

The Host, by Stephanie Meyer
For all you Twilight fans, I think this one is better. It is written for an adult audience (so she says--the characters are 19-20-ish), and in my opinion, is a better story and better-written book.

In the non-fiction category:
The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio, by Terry Ryan
I blogged about this book a year or so ago, but just wanted to mention it again--Terry Ryan tells the story of her mother, and how she provided for a large family with some creativity and ingenuity. I laughed as I read this book, and wanted to be like her mother.

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life, by Walter Isaacson
I read this a few years ago, and it took me a year of reading on and off to finish it, but each time I'd read it, I was fascinated by how much Benjamin Franklin contributed to our culture and government today. He was a flawed man, more than I had know before, but brilliant, charismatic, intelligent, and absolutely necessary to the founding of this nation.

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, by Dr. Laura Schlessinger
I need to go back and re-read this one again (and again and again)--its a quick read, and offers a lot of insight about the power of woman in a marriage relationship. Although sometimes I'd read and think, "It shouldn't all be up to me!", I also finished this book feeling empowered. Woman have such a potential to be an influence for good.



4 comments:

Adam and Christine Jardine said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm always looking for the next good book. I'm glad you like the Dr. Laura book, my SILs and I have mixed views. I thought it was great, I have 2 SILs that refuse to read it so we have some fun conversations!

Katie said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I am always on the lookout for new books to read, so I will definitely keep these in mind!

Kasey Hunt said...

Thanks for the recommendations. All those books sound great.

Tiffani said...

Love the book posts but I also wanted to tell you how cute all your Christmas crafts were that you made! Sounds like you had a great Christmas! Keep the new posts coming!