Thursday, January 7, 2010

Part 3: Books I Can't Wait to Read to my Kids

...and a few books I'd like to read on my own:

The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart (This was a hot book at our house over Christmas break--all the adults wanted to read it, so I only got to read a few chapters, but I'm hooked and need to get my own copy so I can finally finish it.)
Caddie Woodlawn, by Carol Ryrie Brink (As a kid I read the Little House on the Praire books, and didn't like them. I read this around the same time and loved it)
Calico Captive, by Elizabeth George Speare (Based on a true story, and one of my favorites growing up--probably helped me fall in love with historical fiction, and made being captured by indians sound romantic)
Castle in the Attic, by Elizabeth Winthrop (About a boy who discovers a real world inside his toy castle--its hard to find, but I'll buy it for sure when I find a copy!)
Here There Be Dragons, by James Owen (Recommended by my sister-in-law, and probably something I'll share with the boys when they're older)
Princess Academy and Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale (Also, the Goose Girl series, which I've read and enjoyed)
Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry (An amazing, beautiful book about 2 friends in Copenhagen during WW2)
True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, by Avi (One of the "important" books I didn't read as a kid, but its now on my reading list)
Pippi Longstocking, by Astrid Lindgren (just for fun--this and Anne made being an orphan sound like fun!)
The Oddessy, Mary Pope Osborn (The author of the Magic Treehouse books wrote a kid-version of the Oddessy, and its the next thing I'll read to Hannah)
Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Barry (Peter Pan before Neverland...I read a few chapters and can't wait to get my hands on the book to read more!)

8 comments:

Kasey Hunt said...

I love Pippi!! The movie is great. Stella sings the song on the movie to herself at night.

Never Fairy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joyous said...

Calico Captive and Castle in the Attic were some of my favorites growing up. I believe there was a sequel to Castle in the Attic also. Did you ever read the Indian in the Cupboard books? There are some similar elements.

Some of my other favorites from that stage in life were When the Dolls Woke by Marjorie Filley Stover and the My Teacher Is an Alien series by Bruce Coville. And my brother David would have recommended The D- Poems of Jeremy Bloom by Gordon Korman. A little later on I loved Dealing with Dragons and Searching for Dragons by Patricia Wrede. That's some of the lighter fare, but I will spare you the list of Newberrys that I love.

I love Book of a Thousand Days and Princess Academy.

And I read True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle at least twice in my younger years. It's a little weird, like most of Avi's stuff, but it was very interesting.

Jennie and Adam said...

I'm so glad you're doing this series! I always love to see what other people are reading. You've given me a lot of good ideas!

Heather said...

Great books! I LOVED Calico Captive and Castle in the Attic AND The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. Some other great reads like The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Scott O'Dell books, The Black Pearl, Island of the Dolphins, Black Star, Bright Dawn, etc. and Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli.

Recently I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and LOVED it! Lots of Greek mythology brought to life! Have fun and let me know if you find anymore that you like. I think I will have to get my 9 year old reading some of those favorites =) Thanks!

Nancy said...

Add in Where the Red Fern Grows. Especially for boys and all animal lovers. Amazingly better in the book than in the movie. I'm going to read some of these books you recommended.

Sonja said...

You are such a great mom. I loved catching up on your blog.

Katie said...

I've read a few of those. I just read all the Shannon Hale books you listed in the last several months, and I really enjoyed them a lot. I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned, though.