Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Part 2: Books I read to my kids

Now for the books I read with my kids:
When I choose children's books, I like ones that are fun to read, have beautiful illustrations, and for Rachel, are easy to translate. Here are some of our favorites:
Parts, by Tedd Arnold (This book made me excited to have a boy--its all about a boy who is literally falling to pieces after loosing a tooth)
Best Pet Ever, by David LaRochelle (This is a wonderful book about a boy who convinces his mother to get a pet dog by getting a pet dragon first)
The Egg, by MP Robertson (Gorgeous illustrations! This is about a boy who finds and cares for a dragon egg)
How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?, by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Llama, Llama, Red Pajama, by Anna Dewdney (This one always reminds me of my kids at bedtime--and its fun to read!)

And, of course, the classics:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak (Christian's favorite--he even read it aloud performance-style when we had some friends over who hadn't read it)
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff

For Hannah, I've read to her from the Junie B. Jones books, American Girl books and Magic Treehouse books until she took over and started reading them herself. They're classics for a reason.

Next up--the books I can't wait to read with them!

6 comments:

Sherilyn said...

This post brings back good memories of my mom sitting in the hallway reading to me and my brothers before we went to bed.

Katie said...

I haven't heard of some of those. Thanks for sharing! Have you read the Gruffalo books? They are pretty good, too. :)

Green's said...

Yeah for Jane Austin! I LOVE her books, Pride and Prej is #1, then Emma. I'm always quoting out of them, and then I make Seth guess from which book I got the quote out of. I lament that she died so early in her life, what other great books might she have penned?

Have you heard of this children's book: Jabberwocky ? I had a friend in Lincoln, NE who would always read or rather recite to her children. It isn't so much about words, but about the intonation of your voice and the pictures. See the link below to look at the first page in the book if you are curious: http://www.amazon.com/Jabberwocky-Lewis-Carroll/dp/0810911507/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262825771&sr=1-3#noop

Green's said...

Robyn - Upon completion of my first comment I did some googling on the Jabberwocky - I found this link - you can play it and listen to the poem as well as get definitions for the weird words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky#Pronunciation

I think that my friedn recites it much better - she does it with much intonation an suspence in her voice. She would read it to her little boys all the time.

Kasey Hunt said...

Yes, those are all good books. I think we have several of those books in our collection too.

Robyn said...

My sister just reminded me of "There's a Monster at the end of this Book", starring Grover from Sesame Street--another hilarious book!