Sunday, January 31, 2010

food or curiosity?

Last Thanksgiving I blogged about canning adventures during my trip to Boston. My sister-in-law, Jennie, and her mother, helped me can vegetable soup, applesauce, and chicken. Yes, chicken. Sounds weird, looks weird. Funny thing is, we have used up nearly all of our applesauce and chicken. So much for food storage.
My kids love the canned chicken. We use it for fast and easy chicken noodle soup, in caseroles (so one-pot meals really only use one pot, rather than one-pot plus the mess of cooking chicken), and for chicken salad. To do chicken, you need a pressure canner, so I had to look around a little, and in the process, I found some friends who wanted to learn, too. Yesterday we had a little chicken canning party. We started with something like 50-ish lbs of chicken, and ended up with 38 pints of lovely canned chicken. I let my friends sample the soup and chicken salad so they knew what they were getting in to.The thing is, it looks kind of weird. We joked about it looking like a fetus-in-a-jar, which reminded me of the famous Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe in downtown Seattle, which is really more of a museum of oddity, including jars containing "three-headed pig" or "dog with eight legs."Ugly, perhaps, but it tastes good.

If you're interested, call me...but the basic plan is to buy fresh, boneless-skinless chicken, trim of anything you wouldn't want to eat, and put 1 lb chicken in a pint jar with 1/2 tsp salt. It runs in the pressure canner for 70 minutes at 11 lbs pressure. Easy--otherwise I wouldn't do it!

Speaking of oddities, I'm working on a fun craft project I can't wait to post about! Should be ready early next week.

3 comments:

Adam Green said...

Good for you!! We're almost out of chicken too, we love it!

Green's said...

Looks like you had fun! I am sorry that I missed out on it.

Robyn said...

Jennie--I tried calling you all week! I was just hoping I remembered how to do it right!--luckily, it all worked :)
Julianne--we're planning on doing it again, hopefully you can make it next time!