Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Home-made Christmas

Its always a debate whether or not to post about my home-made Christmas projects, since some of them will be gifts for people who might read this, but I've found some really cute things that I think are worth sharing...and I'm kind of pleased with what I'm working on.
Oh, and my craft room is a mess. (This is actually after I cleaned up...)

I'm making church bags for the kids and a tote for a gift from this tutorial (for the church bags, I adjusted the measurements to make them small enough)
For teacher gifts, the kids and I are making these adorable half-eaten gingerbread men (made with felt, not half-eaten gingerbread). (tutorial here)
I'm also helping Hannah make a bunch of felt flower hair clips for her friends at school--they cost almost nothing and are very cute and simple to make. (tutorial here)
Also...speaking of felt...a few years ago I made this snowman advent calendar with pockets for each day leading up to Christmas. Last year we decided that rather than put one piece of candy in each pocket (and have the kids fight over it...brilliant), we'd schedule out all the things we like or need to do for Christmas, write them on little slips of paper, and put one in each pocket. That way, we make sure that we have something Christmas-y to do each day, we get to the things we want to do (like make Christmas cards, mail packages, and go caroling) to make it feel like the holiday season. And--my kids get enough junk food without a candy calendar.
One more felt thing...a few years ago, wanting a garland for my tree but not wanting to spend money, I decided to try a felt alternative...I cut out a ton of small felt circles in red, green, white, yellow/gold, in varying sizes, and sewed them together in a line with a zig zag stitch. I think they look pretty cute on our tree (I've added more each year), and would look very cute as a garland to pretty-up a kid's room for the holidays!
I also made this mini-quilt for Christian (he requested it) since we recently replaced our bright quilt with fuzzy-wuzzies with a new, super soft duvet cover from a certain outlet in MA...he missed the fuzzy-wuzzies (this is his Christmas present).
And one adorable girl will be getting this skirt, although I wish I could keep it for myself...(I wanted to get Aaron to model it, but put him to bed instead...maybe I'll have to do it tomorrow)
I'm also up to my ears in wood and plaster ornaments (the cheap kind from Michaels), trying desperately to get everything done so I can enjoy the holidays season...and I alternate between feeling completely stressed about everything left to do and enjoying the process!

8 comments:

Catherine Faux said...

I've seen the hair clips you make and think they are adorable. What a good gift for Hannah's friends! I also like Christian's gift. We have you guys for Christmas and just finished making your presents today. Will mail them soon, hope you like them! P.S. I wish you guys lived closer or we could come visit you.

val m said...

You've been busy!!! Your projects look great!! I love the mini quilt!! The bags are great!!!

Randy, Ally, and Wes said...

I am, as always, impressed with your craftiness. I am embroiled in my own projects, which I am trying to have faith will get done on time.
Good luck with everything!

DeAnn said...

I want to see your new bedding! Can't wait to visit soon. Love all your projects.

Jennie and Adam said...

Wow! Santa's workshop's got nothing on you! That's quite a production. I especially love the felt garland. I think felt projects are so satisfying--so much impact for so little money and stress!

Kasey Hunt said...

Awesome work Robyn!!!

Nancy said...

You are amazing, Robyn. I can't believe you get all that done!

Joyous said...

Wow, Robyn! Those projects look great, and there's so many of them!