Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pie-day

When we decide to do something, it has to be big, fun, and involved. Our friend Preston has designated November "Pie-month"--his goal is to make a pie every day this month. We got to sample a few of his pies, and then Christian wanted to get in on the fun. What started as a few guys getting together to make pies while the women-folk attended a Relief Society meeting, turned into 8 adults (6 kids) making 16 pies of various kinds in 4-ish hours. We made 2 each of 3 kinds of banana cream pies, 3 chocolate mousse pies, 4 types of fruit pies, 2 buttermilk pies, and 1 "leftover" pie (i.e. throw anything I can find in the pantry into the extra pie pan).
Some of us were more experienced than others. Quentin was the designated banana-cutter/football game updater
Julianne taught us how to make pretty pie-edges, and introduced us to the buttermilk pie, which is now one of my favorites.She also made a fabulous meringue.
Her husband was the self-designated dish washer (which was great, because after such a crazy day, I probably would have gone to bed without cleaning anything).Preston tackled the banana cream pies, with Annette as his sous chef...


About an hour into it, Annette told us that she didn't really like banana cream pie...(but we do, so thanks for the effort!)

Rachel helped apply the egg wash to one berry pies and helped decorate the tops...The pie-ladies:
The finished pies:
(I know what you're saying...you only count 15! The chocolate mess in the silver bowl was once a chocolate mousse pie, but we dropped it...and served it to the kids)

The pie-dudes:

7 comments:

val m said...

Look like a fun evening!! You guys are so much fun! I am ready for a chocolate pie anytime!!!!

DeAnn said...

How fun. I wish I was there for the pretty edge tutorial. Fluting the pie crust is why I typically shy away from baking pies.

Jennie and Adam said...

You guys look like you're ready to open up a bakery. The pies look beautiful--glad you guys had a great time!

Kasey Hunt said...

Yes, it was such a good time.

Katie said...

How fun!!!

Green's said...

Thanks for inviting us Robyn and Christian! We enjoyed the evening getting to know everyone better. Thanks for letting us make a mess in your lovely kitchen. I posted the recipe for Buttermilk (with lemon)Pie on my blog: www.greensgable.blogspot.com

I've made a few changes to it from the one I made at your house. I thought it was way too sweet, so I cut the sugar down by 3/4 cup.

Annelise said...

Yo! Sign me up for some pies!