Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Imperfectionista Strikes Again

I am really trying to be frugal. Really. I swear. I am trying to coupon and shop for deals, and I've had some successes (4 Aveeno products for $8...not bad) but it seems like for every step I make forward, I have to take a couple stumbles backward.
It just seems like i HAVE to save money. We are expecting a few major financial needs over the next few months, including another week of MULA (mandatory un-paid leave of absence), and with so many good deals available, it seems like I ought to be able to cut back and still meet my family's needs.
So--I decided to try making my own laundry soap. Its kind of the cool thing to do in my ward. The first step is to melt felsnaptha on the stove top. I chose to do this at the very time my girls were coming home on the bus, dropping their backpacks on the kitchen floor and demanding a snack. This is what I ended up with:
Seriously, only I could make such a mess of soap. At least I had a clean stovetop afterwards. Hannah said she thought it looked like vomit. I say its more like snot.
I'll try again, and I still think its worth the effort (although I'm not sure I was able to salvage the detergent...it looks really strange).
But come on, universe, shouldn't it be easier to do the right thing?
Right?
I'm in desperate need of a soul-satisfying craft project. Halloween costumes, here I come!

4 comments:

The Santini Stew said...

What can you do but laugh!? Although I'm very curious- how do you make laundry soap?

Robyn said...

well, I may not be the one to ask :) but...its 1 bar felsnaptha, shredded, 1/2 cup arm & hammer super washing soda, and 1/2 borax. You'll also need a 5 gal container. All the supplies should be available at a normal grocery store, and cost about as much as a regular bottle of laundry soap, but make a ton more. Shred the bar, cover with water, and melt on the stovetop (that's the mess in my post--watch it better than I did!), then pour into the 5 gal bucket, add the other ingredients, and add water up to 5 gal. Let it sit overnight and give it a stir. Its much cheaper and several of my friends love it...

Rosemary N. Palmer said...

I'll be interested in how your's turns out. Mine didn't work well (of course, Roy's mechanic clothes are really dirty).

DeAnn said...

I've never heard of felsnaptha.