Friday, September 18, 2009

Life with Boys

We're still working on our back-to-school routine. Between my ASL class at the local community college, trying to go regularly to the YMCA, the girls' bus and homework schedules, and Christian's work trips, we've been pretty busy and haven't had what I would call a "regular" day yet. Plus, I've been a little sick and, therefore, slow.
Bye the way, I really enjoy being back in school. It took some getting used to, and most of the kids are younger than me, but I'm already excited about doing well. The biggest thing for me is to get practice signing with adults, and I'll definitely get that, especially since the teacher is deaf.

I have really enjoyed having my boys home during the day. When the girls are home, they dominate-- their play, their attitudes, and their needs. Its been so nice to have time with just the boys, and its funny to see just how different it is with them. Our trips in the car are spent counting buses, trucks, motorcycles (or mokocycles), or discussing road repair ("Is this a new road or a bumpy road?"). Our time at home is spent building elaborate GeoTrax or reading books about dinosaurs, pets, or Parts (one of my all-time favorite children's books). I decided not to put Nathan in preschool this year so I could give him more attention and take him to libarary story times or activities at the local childrens' museum--things I rarely did with Rachel at home because it was so difficult to simultaneously interpret for Rachel and keep an eye on Aaron. We are also working our way through a preschool activity book, which he enjoys. And I enjoy getting both boys to nap at the same time...YAY!
So far, the boys love spending two mornings a week with Sister Bolander and her kids (and their pets), and we've gone to the library for story time and play-time with the train set, and they enjoyed going to get the van's oil changed--it is so much easier running errands with 2!Yesterday, we got to go to Gull Meadow Farms with some Moms from the stake. What a fun day! The weather was gorgeous, and it was so nice to have so many Moms and kids to play with. We started out with a tractor ride through the apple orchard, where we picked apples. Another fun thing about boys--I had to teach Nathan to use a tree to go potty when a bathroom wasn't convenient (sorry, no pictures). Nathan thought the tractor and new potty options were the highlight of his day. Afterwards, we enjoyed fresh donuts and cider, before heading over to their play area. The boys loved the huge slide and the hay-maze and Nathan got lost in the bigger maze. One our way home, they each picked out a small pumpkin.
Yay! for Fall, good weather, friends, apple, pumpkins, and boys!

7 comments:

DeAnn said...

Cute hair--I didn't recognize you at first! I'm glad you're having fun with the boys.

val m said...

It sounds like you are having a great time with your boys!! Enjoy every minute they grow up way to fast!!! How fun to do all of the boy things with them!! Isn't fall fun!! I am glad you had fun at the farm!!

Kasey Hunt said...

Great pictures Robyn. Sounds like you are really keeping busy.

Kasey Hunt said...

Great pictures Robyn. Sounds like you are really keeping busy.

Marcy said...

I want a slide like that in my backyard...if I ever get one!!!

Sabrina said...

I love fall farm trips. Looks like you had a blast. And your hair looks very cute.

DADDY said...

I loved to see the beautiful pictures of the countryside, but nothing was so exciting as seeing the pictures of the children. You really have your hands full with them--but it is full of love and I love to see how you love my grandchildren.