Saturday, August 22, 2009

I'm a fan of vacation


(WARNING: MASSIVE VACATION POST)

We're back! Between computer problems and a 17-day vacation, I feel very out of touch with the blogosphere, but I'll try to catch up quickly. Here's a quick summary of our time in Utah:

*Christian and I split the kids and flew separately (to accommodate frequent flier miles). Hannah was a huge help with Aaron, who liked to kick the seat in front of him; Rachel and Nathan giggled every time the plane bumped and got to play in business class seats for part of the flight.
*The first day in Utah, we enjoyed a large family swim party at the home of Christian's aunt
Annette (picts to follow).
*I might have felt more at home had our old home still been there--but when I drove by to show Hannah where we used to live, all there was left was a grassy plot...(I guess it really, really, wasn't worth fixing up)
*No help interpreting for Rachel during church--I missed our ward!
*For Family Home Evening, we had a bbq with 20 of the 25 grandkids and 8 of the 13 kids, plus spouses. Christian inherited his love for bbq's from his father.

*We loved seeing family we hadn't seen in 4 years and meeting the new cousins born since we left!
*DeAnn, Bethany, and I visited Daddy's salon for pedicures (Prestige Salon in Spanish Fork--go if you can, its amazing!)
*Loved family game nights--I actually won a game of Monopoly!
*Loved using canoes and paddle boats on Salem Pond, plus visiting the park and feeding ducks.

*Had a picnic lunch with Daddy in Midway and visited the Homestead, where we watched Grandpa finish scuba diving in the crater.
*Played in Daddy's fabulous backyard--with the trampoline, kiddie pool, seat-swing, lounge
chairs, and with the horses in the neighbor's backyard.
*Salem Days!

*Spray-painting t-shirts with Bethany to help Daddy's campaign for mayor ("Me for Mayor", "Save Salem, Go Green", "vote for my Grandpa", "Stan's the Man")
*Finding out that more people read my blog than I thought! Yay for lurkers!
*Visited Christian's sister, Annelise, in Idaho for the blessing of her second daughter, Caroline
(and meeting Olivia for the first time)
*Hanging out with Christian's little brother, Peter, and meeting his girlfriend, Courtney...Christian spent hours with Peter building a desk.*Letting the kids play at a cool "castle" playground.

*Hanging out with my little sister in the hot tub and taking her to EFY...and almost teaching her how to ride a bike.
*Visiting the Hogle Zoo with my Dad, and watching the kids play with toy lemurs for days afterwards.*Seeing my little brother, Kevin, who just came home from his mission, helping him get set for school this Fall,
and hanging out with my Mom, too.
*Swimming at Payson Pool

*Taking the kids to temple square*Seeing my cousin, Shelley; meeting her husband, Jacob; and having a fun extended family dinner with my uncle and his family.
*The ride home...way too long. The kids were exhausted to tears by the time they got off the plane.
We had dinner that night with our friends, the Wesels, so we thankfully didn't have to go back to real life immediately...

Coming up--more vacation posts, plus my latest project for the boys' room!

5 comments:

DeAnn said...

Fun, fun, fun!!!

val m said...

This makes me miss my old home!!! You went to some of my favorite places. We used to live in Lindon not to far from Discovery Park - I've taken a ton of pictures there! How fun to be with family! We are glad that you are back here!!

Robin VanderRoest said...

What a wonderful trip - so many family adventures. We're glad you're back...!

AnnaBanana said...

I had to check out your blog . . .what a fun-filled vacation! You have some cute kiddos!

Catherine Faux said...

Wow! It looks like a totally different place than where we live! We haven't done half of those things. Where is that playground? It was really fun to see you guys.