Monday, July 13, 2009

Adventures in Food

Christian and I enjoy cooking, but up until we were married, I was fairly timid in the things I ate or the new foods I'd try. While I still avoid ketchup, mustard, and mushrooms, I'm converted to tomatoes, onions, garlic, red meat sometimes, Indian food, and I'll try just about anything (When we lived near D.C., we went with Christian's sister to an Ethiopian restaurant, which was pretty tasty). Just to show how far I've come, here's my new adventurous breakfast food:The green smoothie.

Here's the deal. I've heard a lot of about these on various blogs and from friends, but I'm not a veggie fan and I'm certainly not a health nut. But--I do like to try new things and I'm trying to add healthier habits into my own and my kids' diets. So this appealed to me. And miracle of miracle, I actually like it. Even more miraculous, my kids do, too. If they didn't, I may not have made it again so soon after the first try. Rachel and Aaron are the most resistant to eating veggies, but they're the ones who like it the most.
Here's what I do. I fill the blender with baby spinach, add a few splashes (an exact measurement) of OJ, and a banana. I think the banana is an original twist, or maybe not, but I find that it improves the texture. Oh, and in the picture I put some fresh peach in, but it isn't necessary. Blend and drink.Some people swear this takes away their cravings for sweet foods, but I can't say I've experienced it yet. I will say that it helps me feel like I've started the day off right and that helps me stay on track later on. We usually do a green smoothie 3-ish days a week, for the past two weeks. Give it a try and tell me what you think! Or if you are one of the friends who told me I should try it, go ahead and tell me you told me so.

7 comments:

Randy, Ally, and Wes said...

I'm glad you like them! If only I could get Randy to try them . . . he stuck his nose at them and won't even taste them. sigh.

Jodie said...

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT the friend who introduced you---but we've been having "green drink" for a while, and love them. We like to experiment with different fruits, too. Mango and OJ, bananas and apple juice, strawberries and blueberries (though this is usually a purple drink instead of green). I've also noticed that I prefer my bananas or fruit frozen because I like it really cold and it has more of a smoothie feel. Yum! I think I'll go make some more right now...

Annelise said...

I am going to try them. We'll see if Olivia likes them. Who knows we might have a miracle too!

Jess said...

I TOLD YOU SO! =) I know I am only one of several, but they are pretty good... I need to try it with some other fruit added. I always feel better when I make them... and they are pretty filling.

Deinda said...

I'm pretty sure my Young Womens leader made the same thing for us, give or take a few ingredients. It was the same basic idea of hiding a lot of spinach and making the whole thing taste like bananas, though. So ridiculously good. I wish I had a blender so I could make 'em more often.

Jennie and Adam said...

My kids call it Leprechaun juice and we were all pleasantly surprised at how non-spinachy it tastes. Glad you guys like it too!

Amy said...

I tried it this morning and I have to admit, three out of four Rushton's don't like it (the fourth, Brian, refused to try it because he was scarred by the juicing days.) I am going to try other variations because I realized I probably didn't like it because I think orange juice is yucky. I'll let you know if any of my variations are a hit.