Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happy Birthday to me....

Yesterday was an awesome day. Just knowing the day was special seemed to make it that way. I started off the day with a great breakfast--an amazing chocolate cake with 2 kinds of ganache (milk choc and semi-sweet), fresh strawberries, and whip cream. Even though Christian hasn't lived at his parents' home for over a decade, he still hasn't learned to cook for a small family (as if 6 is small)...so he made two of these gorgeous cakes. After breakfast I went to the gym for an hour (elliptical, weights, treadmill). That should help. I spent the afternoon washing the kitchen floor and talking on the phone with my older brother and Dad, who I usually only speak to on major holidays, so it was really nice to catch up with them. In that afternoon, our awesome babysitter came over (Christian even called her for me--he arranged the whole thing) so we could head over to Kalamazoo's Greek Festival which was...a let down. Mostly just booths to sell tourist junk. But there was fun dancing, music, and good greek food. To get in, because it was around dinner time and alcohol was being served, we had to show ID. I didn't bring my purse, so I didn't have my ID and didn't get a handy budweiser bracelet...instead, I got these big X's in permanent marker on my hand. Apparently, even at 28, I'm still not old enough to drink. I may never be.That evening, we watched Angels and Demons. I loved it! Much better than the Da Vinci Code movie, and it made me want to travel to Rome really badly...with all the extra vacation time Christian has this year, we ought to be able to go...if only it wasn't this stupid forced, unpaid kind of vacation...I'm not Catholic and don't have much experience with the religion, but as I watched the movie and thought back to the last conclave, which I remember watching coverage of on tv, I thought that while there are good and bad people in every religion and every country, there are also a whole lot of people with a whole lot of faith and devotion trying to do good things. I also want to go to the churches and cathedrals I studied in art history, see the art and stand in the presence of all that intelligence and inspiration...maybe it could wear off on me.
Yeah, I got that from a Tom Hanks movie.
Anyway, good day, happy birthday, awesome family...and thanks for all of you who sent cards and facebook greetings!

3 comments:

val m said...

Happy Birthday!!!! The cake looks yummy! I am glad it was a good day!

Kasey Hunt said...

anytime u have left over cake, I'm just a phone call away!!

DeAnn said...

I'm glad it was a good day. The cakes look yummy--I may just have to bake one this week since now I am craving cake. On fast Sunday, no less.