Monday, May 11, 2009

The Ultimate Brownie Blog

I have decided that I really like to bake. I like trying new recipies, I like trying new methods, but I especially like eating what I make. My favorite thing (lately) to bake (i.e. eat) are brownies. I have a dark chocolate brownie (divine--rich, lots of chocolate flavor, must eat with ice cream or milk), turtle brownies (caramel, nuts, good chocolate from-scratch brownie), a favorite brownie mix (Giradehli triple chocolate, or, in a pinch, Betty Crocker triple chocolate), but for now, I think my all time favorite is this new find, courtesy of FoodNetwork.com:

Truffle Brownies

2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 stick butter or marg
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup flour
chocolate ganache for topping (recipe follows)
special equipment: 9-in round foil cake pan (or line 9-in cake pan with foil)

Preheat oven to 350. Using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs and salt together until frothy. Add sugar and beat until thick and pale yellow, about 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and beat an additional 30 seconds.

Put butter/marg and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat 1 minute, then stir (may need 30 more seconds).

With mixer running, add chocolate mixture to eggs. Add flour and beat 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl andmix 30 more seconds.

Spray cake pan and pour in batter. Place on top rack in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until center is barely set. (toothpick won't come out clean--these set in the freezer--trust me on this) Remove pan from the oven and let cool. Top with ganache and place in freezer for at least 1 hour.

To serve, remove from freezer and slice immediately. Allow brownies to come to room temperature before serving.

Ganache
1/2 cup (4 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream

melt in microwave, smear on top of brownies

Trust me on this, guys--these are truly divine. I'd post a picture, but I'd have to make another batch to do that and I don't think my diet could handle that. They are chocolatey, dense, delicious. I even added some milk chocolate chips to the batter just for fun. The recipe looks complex, but its easy--just add things one at a time. Try them! Or better yet, do something nice for me and I'll make them for you!

8 comments:

Alexia said...

umm those sound amazing!

I will probably make those tomorrow.

Marcy said...

I think you need to make them when we come to Michigan!!!

Kasey Hunt said...

Thanks for the recipe.

DeAnn said...

Yes. Please make these next weekend! I missed this post again. Do you start your posts, save and then post later? Because it keeps the original date (unless you change it) and gets lost in my scroll. Anyway...

Robyn said...

Sorry, DeAnn...I usually start a few posts at a time and finish them later on--I forgot to change the dates on the post, but I'll work on that. And yeah, I'll make them over Memorial weekend.

val m said...

Sounds yummy!!!! I'll have to give them a try!

Catherine Faux said...

Lord of the Rings is actually one of the main reasons we wanted to go to New Zealand. We love those movies/soundtracks/ the book.

Sonja said...

They were delicious!