Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, all y'all mothers out there

I do love Mother's Day. I love how every day leading up to Mother's Day my kids bring some fun me-centered project home from school (poems, cards, clay objects supposed to resemble my face...or a duck, depending on the year).
This year, to add to all the school-craft fun, Hannah was asked to give the Primary talk. She and I started writing it together, and Daddy helped her finish. Here's what she came up with:


Mothers are nice. Mothers do a lot of work for us. We love mothers. Mothers help us. I have a mother; she does lots and lots of work for me. My Mom washes my clothes. My Mom is a Young Women's teacher. Mothers cook for us.

I want to tell a story about Hannah from the Bible. Hannah wanted a child so she prayed to Heavenly Father for a child.

"So Hannah rose up...and prayed unto the Lord, and... and said, O Lord...if thou wilt...remember me, and...give unto thine handmaid a child, then I will give him unto the Lord all the days of his life,”

The Lord blessed her with a child and she did what she promised...she raised her child to the Lord. And when her child was old enough, she took the child to the temple to live there.

And she said, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the Lord. For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him: Therefore also I have lent him to the Lord; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the Lord. And he worshiped the Lord there.”And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the Lord”

Hannah kept her promise and was faithful. Mothers take of us and keep their promises and trust in the Lord. My mother prays to the Lord and trusts in the Lord. The Lord loves mothers and blesses them just like He blessed Hannah.

When I am a mother I want to be like Hannah from the Bible and like my mother when she took care of me.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Yeah, pretty good, huh? She also drew a card for me this morning. Here is a scan (pardon the quality--she drew with marker on both sides of the paper--and focus on the details):

The pucker-up smile, blue eyes, cute bow, nice dress, and the hair....since when am I a brunette?! No, please, it can't be happening! I know my hair is much darker than before I had kids, but I still like to hold on to the belief that I still have my blonde hair. It part of my identity!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone! (Well, everyone it applies to--not you, Daddies).

By the way, while I don't have pictures to prove it, Hannah did successfully learn to ride her bike yesterday and was awarded with a new pair of flip flops. Guess I just needed to find the right kind of motivation.

5 comments:

val m said...

I love it!!That is a beautiful talk! I can't think of a more beautiful gift! Mother's day with little ones are the best!! And, you are still a beautiful blonde!

DeAnn said...

That's so great that Hannah can ride a bike--she was holding out for Mother's Day. And you totally have blonde hair.

Annelise said...

I am so impressed! That talk is so much more appropriate than the talks from the young men/women that spoke in our ward today. I was actually appalled. If any of my girls ever spoke about me the way those kids did about their mothers I would have a break down. Sound like you raised a great kid!

DADDY said...

Wow, I was so impressed by all that you do and I loved the pictures of Rachel with her new dress. Grandpa can't wait to have you come and visit

Alexia said...

what a cute talk! and congrats to hannah for learning to ride a bike.