Sunday, April 26, 2009

Progressing Personally...maybe

Can I just say how awesome I think the YW program is? Aside from my teen years, I've spent the last 2 and a half years serving with the YW (in two wards) and I love it. And every time I commit to the Personal Progress program, the blessings are immediate. Really, I find inspiration and guidance every time I open the manual, and the goals I set to live the YW values help meet my needs now, even though I'm not exactly "young" anymore (by church organizational standards...). I want to get my medallion again...maybe make a charm necklace with all the YW bling from my youth and from my current efforts...
I frequently get very frustrated with church--frustrated that I can't both fulfill my calling and interpret for Rachel, that I'm not skilled enough to interpret for Rachel, by the behavior of my kids, and that with everything going on on Sundays I often loose time to feel the Spirit and have personal study time. However, when I get over the idea that I go to church for myself and loose myself in service, and put first those things that should be first...well, its amazing how much more peace I feel.
So here's to recommiting to do what I'm supposed to be doing.

3 comments:

val m said...

It is such a wonderful program! I love it and it is fun for me now to watch my daughter enjoy it! You are inspiring me to get my book out and start working!!!

BeccaJane said...

I know what you mean about Church....I think parents always have times when they wonder if it's worth it to even bother dragging the family to Church!! But I have no doubts that the Lord knows your desire to serve Him, and He knows you're doing the best you can! That's all He wants!! Pretty soon, Cam could interpret for Rachel....he's getting really good...he's almost as fast at the alphabet as I am and he's only 2!!

Jennie and Adam said...

You're definitely not alone in feeling like Sundays can be less than a feast. Your insight about being there to serve though brings great perspective. Thanks!