Thursday, March 12, 2009

Winner of a Dinner

Last night I tried something new for dinner. According to caloriecount.about.com, it has 224 cal per cup (not too bad) and even my kids ate it--Christian and I really enjoyed it. Just thought I'd share....

Tomato Tortellini Soup
1/2 lb. ground turkey breast
1 T Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/8 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
3 cups chicken broth (I used chicken base)
1 can (14.5 oz) Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 chopped onion (I used dry onion flakes...the original recipe doesn't ask for onion)
4.5 oz dry tortellini (or whatever looks good...)

1. Heat oven to 400. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and cooling rack. Combine turkey, bread crumbs, sage, pepper, and salt; form into small meatballs and cook 12 min or until brown.
2. In a saucepan, combine broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, celery, carrots, and onion. Boil; add pasta, and cook until veggies and pasta are done (can lower heat, but make sure the pasta cooks). Add meatballs and serve.

(I doubled this recipe for my family, and I changed a few things...the recipe calls for green beans, which I didn't have, but would probably like to add; I might add spinach or zuccini next time; I used dry tortellini but the recipe called for refridgerated ravioli--if you use refridgerated pasta, just add it at the very end, after the veggies are soft; I would add veggies to the meatballs)

2 comments:

val m said...

Yum! It sounds good - Thanks for sharing!!

Annelise said...

I'm gonna make that!!!! Thanks!