Sunday, March 8, 2009

Craftiness

We've had quite a few little projects going on over the past few weeks. Rachel's afternoon bus driver and Hannah's friend's Mom had babies recently, so I thought it would be nice for the girls to help me make simple baby blankets. I was impressed that they were actually able to help! We bought a yard and a half of cute fleece and simply cute and tied the edges for a very simple blanket.
The girls have issues with privacy--sharing a room between three kids, they just don't have any. Last January I started sewing what I called "Special Things Bags" for each girl (to match the quilts I made for them last year). They are simple panels of fleece, sewn with pockets, and velcroed onto their headboards. They seem to like having a place to put things that no one else is allowed to touch.
For a Young Women activity a week or two ago, we made these cute heart wreaths. (When I get around to it, I'll link it to the original idea) I had the girls make one for themselves, and an additional heart to give to someone they admired. Some of our girls made the wreaths in the YW colors--I had them make an extra heart in a value color and give it to someone who exemplified that value. Pretty fun--and pretty cute, I think. The wreath is made of wooden hearts, a small floral wreath for the base, and scrapbook paper. We glued the paper on, sanded the edges so they looked nice, painted the edges of each heart just for fun (a tiny detail--some girls didn't want to, but I think it looked nice), and glued them onto the wreath.
And of course, my favorite type of craftiness--cookies! Rachel really wanted to take a treat to school and I needed something for our Joint Activity, so I combined two recipies I liked to make these beauties...I still need to tweak, so I'll post when I've found my perfect cookie recipe. I just thought these looked pretty!

6 comments:

Kasey Hunt said...

what a nice idea. everything turned out great.

Amy said...

You are so talented!

Katie said...

everything is lovely! you are so talented. the hearts are beautiful!

Randy, Ally, and Wes said...

Those little bags for the girls' headboards are brilliant! They turned out super cute as well.

val m said...

It looks like you've been having fun!! So creative!! Such darling ideas! I'll look forward to the future cookie blog post!

Joyous said...

I love the little pocket bags you made. What a creative way to handle everyone being all together. :)