Saturday, February 7, 2009

My addiction


I am absolutely addicted to all things Jane Austen. I re-read the books (at least, my favorite parts) at least once a year, and this year I've discovered that nearly all the movies are on Netflix. I think my family wishes I hadn't discovered this, because I spend far too much time watching them. Last year the BBC put out new versions of several of the stories--I like their version of Sense and Sensibility much better than the 1995 one (mostly because, as much as I like Emma Thompson, she was just too old). I've mentioned before that I loved their Northanger Abbey, as well. And I'm torn over which version of Pride and Predjudice I like more, so I usually watch bits of both.
Lately, I've also revisted my older obsession--Anne of Green Gables and every other story written by L.M. Montgomery (who wasn't actually that great of a writer, but she made great stories). I found some of the books online, and I'm trying to track down the movies of Emily of New Moon and Jane of Lantern Hill. That's just what I need--more ways to spend my time other than cleaning house!

5 comments:

val m said...

I was talking to my friend the other day and i heard her 2 1/2 year old come up and ask to watch Sense and Sensibility. It cracked me up!! She has great ttaste already. Such great movies! They can take you away to another time and place.

Heather said...

I just started reading Anne of Green Gables again (well...I started a few weeks ago and am barely through the first part of the book, but I'm reading...) I love all those movies and books! My oldest girl and I will sometimes sit in bed at night reading next to each other and just the other night she decided that she too wants to read about Anne Shirly! Maybe I'll be done by June and she can read it over the summer =)

Randy and Ally said...

I was obsessed with L.M. Montgomery books when I was younger. The Emily books are very fun. I wasn't a big fan of the Jane of Lantern Hill movie because it strays so far from the book, but it is funny to see Sam Waterson (Law and Order) in a "chick flick"

Catherine Faux said...

Haha! I love those movies too. I am reading Persuasion right now for the first time. About once a year I get on a romantic old movie kick and have to watch Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables, and Sound of Music. Once, when Sound of Music was on TV Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Leland let me watch it all three times! But I try not to be that crazy all the time. I am going to watch Persuasion after I finish the book. Good luck finding the other movies! PS We just watched the Secret Life of Bees last night and it is really good. I bawled my eyes out.

Joyous said...

Woot woot for Jane Austen. And Anne and Gilbert.

I must confess, though, that the Emily of New Moon books broke my heart and I can't bear to read them.