Sunday, November 2, 2008

Girlie Drama


I love Hannah. I really do. But sometimes I don't know what to do with her.
Last week, we had one of "those" mornings...Hannah woke up crying and never seemed to stop. On the surface, she was upset about her clothes, but I think it was more than that (PMS, maybe?). Anyway, I made her go to school anyway. While we waited at the bus stop, she hid behind me and was still upset as she got on the bus. The bus driver even gave her a tissue and a hug (major guilt trip!). I fully expected a call from the school nurse within an hour, and was pleased when I didn't hear anything. Then I got the call (around lunchtime) from...the school principle. Apparently, when her teacher asked what was wrong, Hannah said her friends has teased her at the bus stop and the principle got involved. I assured him that nothing had happened with her friends and hoped it was all over. THEN my friendly neighbor came by--she was very upset that her daughter (who has a reputation for being a bully) had been wrongly accused and she wanted to make sure I understood that Hannah's behavior was wrong. Believe me, I understood. When Hannah came home that afternoon, she was in a great mood--but I wasn't. We made a plate of cinnamon rolls and Hannah made this card to take to her wrongly-accused friend. It was very important to me that Hannah understood that her actions could hurt other people.

4 comments:

Jennie and Adam said...

Good for you for turning it into a learning moment for her. You handled it really well!

DeAnn said...

Oh Robyn--you have your hands full. That story just cracked me up.

Kasey Hunt said...

I agree with Jen, you did the right thing.

val m said...

What a good mom! I have always been impressed with your patience and how fun and kind you are with your kids - thanks for the example! When my kids have those experiences, I just have to remind myself that I am glad they are learning while they are young!! It's a lot easier to deal with and learn from in elementary school than the upper grades!