Friday, October 10, 2008

Our new pet

Yes, we have a pet. For those of us who have heard us for years say we'd never get a pet, I guess this is a big turnaround. My kids love animals--dogs, cats, squirrels, birds, elephants, giraffes, bunnies, horses, and....worms. Yes, our new pet is a worm.Actually, do be more specific, our new pet was a worm. Because as much as my kids love animals, they don't actually take care of them very well (part of why I refuse to have a pet--cuz I don't know how to take care of them either!). Between Megan and Natalie and the neighbor boy, Bryan, my kids have become very well acquainted with bugs and creepy crawly things. After last weekend with all the cousins around, I found a 10-in worm crawling around my basement. I disposed of it. But the next day, Rachel found another (thankfully smaller) worm while digging around in our from yard. She adopted it. She gave it a name sign (and even spelled it out--Nal). She made a home for it in the basket on Nathan's big wheel, and gave it a bath (or swim) to clean it. She loved it (squeezed it) so much, it started gushing something, so she said was sick and made a bed for it. By this time, it was moving still, but not very much. Rachel also found a bow left over from Hannah's party and sang "Happy Birthday" to the worm--and Nathan joined in. By the time she left for school, I'm pretty sure it was dead, so I disposed of it, hoping she'd forget. She didn't. Rachel didn't believe me when I said it crawled away and was hiding, and blamed it on me. I told her to look for it, so its just a matter of time for us to have our next pet.
I still say that with Aaron around, and his canine teeth and puppy-ish crawl, who needs a pet?

5 comments:

DeAnn said...

I'm sorry for my kids' bad influence. \''/ That's really gross.

RD&Debbie said...

hehehe, good times!

Deinda said...

...Rachel is amazingly insightful. You've gotta hand it to her, I don't think many kids her age would be able to decipher when their mom is lying to them.
Your kids have weird taste in animals...

Alexia said...

As we all know, I'm a huge advocate of pets. Maybe Santa should get them a kitten for christmas...(and I'm not above "supervising" their letters to santa)

Tiffani said...

That is just too funny! Kids do the funniest things! I will be looking for a new post soon!
:)