Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Hannah turned 6 years old on October 3rd--yay for Hannah! Instead of actually buying her presents this year, we let her have a party. I did, however, give her the quilt I've been working on the for the past few months, and I think it turned out pretty well (and it goes with Rachel's). The party got a little out of hand. I don't know why I do this to myself--I don't like being in charge of things (Christian says I like to be "behind the scenes"--and its true! Please don't put me in charge of anything!). We ended up having 14 kids, including mine and the cousins, and I thought a few simple activities would be enough to keep them entertained. Unfortunately, during the party we realized that Rachel's bus was 1/2 hour late and I had to spend some time on the phone tracking her down, and then consoling her after she finally came home (she was so scared! She kept signing that she got on the wrong bus--actually, she just switched routes for the day). So--my attention was severely divided. During this time, two sets of kids got into fights--pushing, yelling, even a few punches! Happy Birthday! The things that were fun: Hannah loves friends and she plays very well; we made bubble cups again, and the kids always love them; bobbing (or, in Christian's case, swimming) for apples; and a yummy applesauce spice cake with cream cheese glaze and sprinkles.I'm taking a break from parties for a while!

5 comments:

DeAnn said...

I'll have to keep reading this as Natalie's birthday approaches so I don't talk myself into a "simple" party. It was a lot of fun and without the bus-Rachel thing it would have felt better to you.

BeccaJane said...

LOVE the quilt! I'm so impressed! I am the least crafty person ever.

Kasey Hunt said...

Quilt looks good. That is a lot of kids in one place!!

Deinda said...

Hannah and Rachel's quilts are adorable, you face! It's not fair that you got all the crafty genes!

Leslie said...

The quilt is awesome. Birthday parties always seem to get out of hand, don't they? How did you make the bubble cups?