Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mexican Saints...

To cap off my Mexico trip report, I'm sharing a few pics of San Luis Potosi, and San Miguel de Allende.

I only stayed in San Luis Potosi one night - I arrived late and left early, so I've only got pictures of the hotel. However, the Westin in SLP is pretty impressive. It's a hacienda style hotel (central courtyard, etc.) and appeared as if it could have been pretty old:


Here's a shot of my room - the wood shows a little too dark to tell, but it was all beautifully handcarved (no onlays - solid carving)

There's nothing quite like climbing through a lacy curtain outlined window to take a shower...


I got in late so it's a little dark, but here's a look at the hallway outside my room...



If you look closely at the vaulted cavern ceilings of the restaurant, you can see they're all brick...

The door to the hotel fitness room..

On Mexican Independence day, I went to San Miguel de Allende (Miguel de Allende played a role in the Mexican revolution). The downtown area is very well preserved and had a similar feel to older European towns. There was a late afternoon re-enactment of the march on the capitol - someone said the local priest played the part of the priest, they also had San Miguel and 30 - 40 random horsemen dressed up in period costumes:



I took a picture of these balloons because I thought Rachel and Nathan would like it...

After this celebration, I wandered around the downtown area - taking a few pictures as I went:



San Miguel himself...





This cathedral was just as fancy as most I saw in Europe, but with much better lighting...



And a picture of the best looking seafood dish I tried...

2 comments:

Kasey Hunt said...

All the pictures were great to look at..... except for the last one. How did that dish taste?

Catherine Faux said...

So beautiful! You are lucky you get to go to such exotic places