Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer Projects

School starts next week! Hannah will start 1st grade (yes, she's still just 5...) and Rachel will start her 3rd year of preschool (she's 4). I thought this might be a good time to review my progress on all those summer projects I wanted to work on.

grow strawberries and make jam:actual fruit yield: 5 plants, 5 strawberries, no jam

plant a garden:ummm, didn't happen (no, those are not tomatoes)

paint the kitchen:well, at least I sort of started

hang pictures (so it feels more homey around here)ummm, didn't happen
(My excuse is that soon after moving, my kids poked holes in and-or broke the frames of nearly everything I used to hang on my walls. To hang something is to buy something new...)

Finish Hannah's quilt:not quite (but it better get done before her birthday!)

I suffer from an acute case of "blogger envy." I spend an obscene amount of time searching through blogs (my new favorite is the lazy organizer--see link on sidebar) and I am amazed by what other moms seem to be able to accomplish. I'm developing something of an inferiority complex (there are other moms with four kids who have their lives in order and manage to sew a few dresses, paint a few rooms, and do all the things I say I enjoy doing...).
That being said, I've always known I'm more of an idea person than a doer. Its why I loved my interior design classes so much, but haven't actually used the skills much since graduating.
And, come on, I have four young kids and am trying to learn ASL! So despite my uncompleted projects, I have to say I enjoyed my summer, and as much as I love my kids, I'm ready for school to start again!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Starting is better than nothing! We've lived in our house a year and a half and I have yet to even decide what color to paint, let alone actually do it (though I do hate painting). I think you are doing great! I'm amazed at all you do get done! Just a thought...one of my friends enlisted the young women who might need or want a value project to help finish her summer projects. The YW are always so enthusiastic about those things! Happy back to school for you and the kids!!!

DeAnn said...

I know how you feel!