Sunday, May 4, 2008

"I'm talkin' 'bout Seoul power" - Remember the Titans (sort of)

After a disastrous time at Mumbai's international airport (India's airports are the absolute worst I've seen) I was very grateful to arrive in Seoul, Korea. I arrived Saturday evening and decided to make sure I could go to church on Sunday. I looked up the English speaking branch on lds.org and found out that it was easily accessible by subway. I was glad that I could reach by subway because for most of my trip, all I seem to do is go from hotel to factory by car; this gave me a chance to walk around a bit. I've heard that Seoul, although at 20 million is one of the world's largest cities, has a very low crime rate so I relished the opportunity to wander. The web site's directions were very good and I had no problem walking to church.

Church was really good. It was a fast and testimony meeting, and for the first time in years I was able to pay attention (guilty thanks Robyn). The spirit was strong and it was comforting to go to someplace very familiar after a couple of weeks of the exotic. I really miss my family, especially when I consider that I'm still only half-way done with my Asia trip.

Below is the path I wandered to find the Church:

5 comments:

The Christoffersen Family said...

Christian-
Holy cow! Thanks for sharing all of your pictures and experiences! Wow. How amazing! It's got to be strange to be in Korea etc and realize that you are a Giant compared to them!! Ha ha! I'm glad that you have been well taken care of though! Thanks for sharing and keep em coming. It's been fun to be a part of!

Robyn said...

That looks awesome! And I love it that you added music to the page. I'm glad you got to add sight-seeing to your vacation schedule.

BeccaJane said...

Aww...the memories of Korea. I'd give anything to go back. It's crazy how NOTHING is written in English, huh! Did you get to eat any of the yummy food??

Christian said...

I had one of the best meals for lunch today. Our host took us to a restaurant that had an open fire (gas I'm sure) in the middle of the table. The waitress kept bringing out strips of beef, mushrooms, garlic and placing them on the grill. We ate them rolled up in lettuce and cabbage with some really good sauces and radishes and stuff. At the end we had some really good noodles - overall it was excellent.

BeccaJane said...

Ooh, yep, that's one of my favorites...I'm SO jealous!! Oh yummy, maybe we'll have to go get Korean food one night this week. I think Korean food is a hidden treasure that most people don't know about.